Act It Out! Roudokukai (朗読会）
- This event has passed.
May 14th, 2022 @ 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm EDTCost: Free
Act it Out! Roudokukai（朗読会）
“Going home from school one day, I met another me. The boy’s face was identical to mine, as if he had come out of the mirror. Would you believe me? I then followed the boy, as if being pulled by an invisible thread…”
Calling creative souls again! Do you like reading? (Voice) acting? Speaking Japanese?
Unleash your inner artist as we all read out together and discuss parts of the fantasy book 「ブランコのむこうで」(The Other Side of the Swing) by the acclaimed fiction writer Hoshi Shinichi, diving into the little boy’s eye-opening dream world adventure.
Saturday May 14 | Online |6:30 pm – 8:00 pm EDT | Japanese (reading) + English (discussions, if needed)
Registration Deadline: Thursday May 5th, 2022
This Roudokukai (literally “recitation meeting”) combines Japanese reading, listening, and speaking practice, all while learning about Japanese literature and the language used there.
Every participant will become an actor (if they want) as we all read out parts of the fantasy book 「ブランコのむこうで」and explore concepts in Japanese language and culture in a carefree, fun session where creativity is not only welcomed, but encouraged!
- Materials: Both the Japanese version (provided by 新潮文庫刊) with accompanying Furigana/Ruby and English translation (provided by The Hoshi Library; abridged version here) of the readings will be shared with participants before the event.
- Participation Requirements:
Japanese language learners from anywhere in Canada or JFT Nihongo Salon participants, with at least intermediate Japanese language proficiency, defined as:
- Pre-Intermediate A2/B1 level for JFT students, or
- JLPT N3 level or equivalent
*you will require a camera and microphone to participate
*preference will be given to JFT students and Nihongo Salon participants
- Quota: 15 Participants maximum
- More information about the book: 星新一『ブランコのむこうで』(新潮文庫刊) – the paperback book is available to borrow from our library (JFT library catalogue). Please note that the readings for this event will be shared with participants, so purchasing the book is not required to participate.
- Credits: 星新一『ブランコのむこうで』(新潮文庫刊) and The Hoshi Library
- For inquiries: Please contact the Japanese Language Team at email@example.com