JFT Book Club (Hybrid) – With Silent Reading Time – LGBTQIA+ Books
June 20 @ 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm EDTCost: Free
JFT Library is starting a new type of hybrid book club meeting where book lovers are invited to read a book in silence in the library (or wherever they want if participating virtually) and engage in optional discussion!
The theme for the upcoming book club is “LGBTQIA+” in honor of Pride Season in June. This hybrid gathering aims to be an inclusive space where individuals of all backgrounds can connect and learn. Whether you identify as LGBTQIA+ or simply wish to support and understand this vibrant community, we encourage you to join us to celebrate the diverse narratives and important themes related to LGBTQIA+ experiences through Japan-related literature!
WHY JOIN JFT BOOK CLUB “WITH SILENT READING TIME”?
Many of us simply want more time to read but cannot squeeze the time in, as we have too many distractions and interruptions in our daily lives to concentrate on reading. JFT Book Club with Silent Reading Time offers a sanctuary to indulge in the simple pleasure of reading, surrounded by fellow book enthusiasts who share your love for literature.
In addition, we provide an optional space for those who wish to connect and discuss their reading experiences with others. Engage in conversations at your comfort level and learn new perspectives from other book lovers from different cultural backgrounds that you wouldn’t gain from reading alone! It’s a safe space where your thoughts and impressions are valued, regardless of whether you choose to actively participate or quietly absorb the conversations around you.
We welcome both seasoned book club members and first-time participants to discover the joy of silent reading without the pressures of finishing an assigned book on time and/or participating in mandatory discussions.
If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
HOW DOES THE UPCOMING JFT BOOK CLUB WORK?
- Once you register for the event, find a book to read based on the criteria listed in WHERE YOU CAN FIND A BOOK TO READ? (see below) or from JFT Library’s LGBTQIA+ Book Lists (physical books & ebooks/audiobooks)
- You can choose to start reading the book of your choice before or on the day of the book club.
- On the day of the event, we will meet via Zoom and in person at Japan Foundation Toronto Library (2 Bloor St E #300, Toronto, ON M4W 1A8 Canada). *Click here to check how to get to our Library.
- We will start with a quick introduction & ice-breaking activity (*Light refreshments will be served for in-person participants)
- 1-hour Silent Reading Time: Participants will read the book they select anywhere in the library or wherever they want if participating virtually.
- Optional Discussion Time: We will share what we have learned, what we think about the depiction of the LGBTQIA+ community(ies)/character(s), favorite moments from your chosen book, etc.
*There is no right or wrong answer. Different perspectives make the discussion more fun and vibrant!
WHERE YOU CAN FIND A BOOK TO READ?
- A book to read can be either a physical book, ebook, or audiobook that meets the following criteria:
- Theme: LGBTQIA+ (i.e., fiction, nonfiction, or manga about Japanese LGBTQIA+ community(ies); fiction, nonfiction, or manga portraying LGBTQIA+ community(ies)/character(s) written by Japanese author)
- Language: The book can be written in any language (i.e. English, Japanese, French) but the book club will be in English
- Participants can either select a book from the JFT Library’s collection, or bring their own copy from home (can be a book not in JFT library collection if it meets the criteria above).
- You can search the JFT Library’s collection on our online catalogue (*to search physical & digital items) or JF Canada/USA Digital Library (*to search and read ebooks & audiobooks).
- Check out JFT Library’s LGBTQIA+ Book Lists to get ideas!
To get a new JFT library card or to renew your existing card, please follow the instructions found here.
Previous Book Clubs