JFT Book Club (Hybrid) – With Silent Reading Time – Holiday Reading Recommendations
- This event has passed.
November 16th, 2023 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm ESTCost: Free
Sharing some comments from our participants!
“It was fun to see some great recommendations like “How do you live”, “The boy and the dog”, “Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman”. I felt everyone brought up distinct books and manga that were very interesting. Each one sounded very entertaining. It was a great opportunity to interact with fellow book and manga fans. I truly enjoyed it…Keep up the good work Risa and Emi. Thank you for conducting the event! Looking forward to the next one!”
Please continue to check the JFT’s website and newsletters for future book club information.
Check out the list of books that were selected by the book club participants below or download the full list PDF file with the books synopsis and links.
|Before the Coffee Gets Cold [Physical book or Ebook or Audiobook]
|Literary Fiction, Magical Realism
|Blank Canvas : My So-Called Artist's Journey [Ebook]
かくかくしかじか [Physical book]
|Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman [Physical book or Ebook]
|Literary Fiction, Short Stories, Magical Realism
|Golden Kamuy [Ebook]
ゴールデンカムイ [Physical book]
|Manga, Historical Fiction,
Action & Adventure
|How Do You Live? [Physical book or Ebook or Audiobook]
君たちはどう生きるか [Physical book or Manga]
|Young Adult Literature,
Coming of Age
|Kowloon Generic Romance [Physical book]
九龍ジェネリックロマンス [Physical book]
|Manga, Romance, Sci-Fi
|Norwegian Wood [Physical book or Ebook or Audiobook]
ノルウェイの森 [Physical book]
|Literary Fiction, Romance
*Not in JFT Library Collection. Live-action movies DVDs available at JFT Library.
|Manga, Historical Fiction,
Action & Advenute
|Snow Country [Physical book or Ebook]
|Literary Fiction, Romance
|The Boy and the Dog [Physical book or Ebook]
少年と犬 [Physical book]
|Literary Fiction, Animal
|The Phone Booth at the Edge of the World [Physical book]
|Laura Imai Messina
|Literary Fiction, Cultural Heritage
|Triton Of The Sea [Physical book or Ebook]
|1Q84 [Physical book or Ebook]
1Q84（いちきゅうはちよん） [Physical book]
|Literary Fiction, Magical Realism, Romance, Fantasy, Mystery
Enjoy the Simple Pleasure of Reading in Silence & Discover Your Perfect Holiday Read at JFT Book Club (Hybrid)– With Silent Reading Time –!
Join our next JFT Book Club (Hybrid) meeting where you are invited to read a book in silence in the library (or wherever you want if participating virtually) and engage in optional discussion with fellow book lovers interested in Japanese culture.
The theme for the upcoming book club is holiday readings. There are no assigned readings — you choose a book, manga, ebook, or audiobook about Japan, or any title by Japanese author(s) that you want to recommend to fellow participants.
WHY JOIN JFT BOOK CLUB “WITH SILENT READING TIME”?
Many of us simply want more time to read but cannot squeeze the time in, as we have too many distractions and interruptions in our daily lives to concentrate on reading. JFT Book Club with Silent Reading Time offers a sanctuary to indulge in the simple pleasure of reading, surrounded by fellow book enthusiasts who share your love for literature.
In addition, we provide an optional space for those who wish to connect and discuss their reading experiences with others. Engage in conversations at your comfort level and learn new perspectives from other book lovers from different cultural backgrounds that you wouldn’t gain from reading alone! It’s a safe space where your thoughts and impressions are valued, regardless of whether you choose to actively participate or quietly absorb the conversations around you.
We welcome both seasoned book club members and first-time participants to discover the joy of silent reading without the pressures of finishing an assigned book on time and/or participating in mandatory discussions.
If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us in person, by phone, email, or via contact form.
HOW DOES THE UPCOMING JFT BOOK CLUB WORK?
- Once you register for the event, find a book to read based on the criteria listed in WHAT BOOK TO BRING? (see below) or from JFT Library’s collection.
- On the day of the event, we will meet via Zoom and in person at the Japan Foundation Toronto Library (2 Bloor St E #300, Toronto, ON M4W 1A8 Canada).
*Click here to check how to get to our Library.
- We will start with a quick introduction & ice-breaking activity (*Light refreshments will be served for in-person participants)
- Participants will share their books and why they pick them up (2-3 minutes each)
- 45-minute Silent Reading Time: Participants will read the book they bring or the one recommended by other participants anywhere in the library or wherever they want if participating virtually.
- Optional Discussion Time: We will share what we have learned, what we think about the depiction of Japanese culture, favourite moments from your chosen book, suggestions for perfect holiday reads, etc.
*There is no right or wrong answer. Different perspectives make the discussion more fun and vibrant!
WHAT BOOK TO BRING?
- A book to bring can be either a physical book, ebook, or audiobook that meets the following criteria:
- Theme: A book you want to recommend or are planning to read as a holiday reading (i.e., fiction, nonfiction, or manga about Japan; fiction, nonfiction, or manga written by Japanese authors).
- Language: Books can be written in any language (i.e. English, Japanese, French) but the book club will be in English
- A book of choice has to be part of JFT Library’s collection. You can search whether the book is part of our collection on our online catalogue (*to search physical & digital items) or JF Canada/USA Digital Library (*to search and read ebooks & audiobooks). Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you wish to confirm the availability.
- Participants can either bring the book you currently have on loan, or bring their own copy from home.
- During the silent reading time, you can read either the book you bring, or other participants’ recommendations to try something new.
- Be creative with getting your reading materials! Check out our Inventorial and Thematic Book Lists to get an idea for your next book.
To get a new JFT library card or to renew your existing card, please follow the instructions found here.